26 October 2022: UKRAINET #Stand With Ukraine Webinar Series “PhD in Ukraine, (in English) Speaker: Prof. Ganna Tolstanova, Vice-Rector (Research) of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Moderated: Dr. Olesia Lazarenko (German-Ukrainian Academic Society/ Viadrina). Presentation: video-recording and slides
25 October 2022: PhD in Germany (in Ukrainian). Video-recording.
This webinar included a brief introduction to the German science & HE system and PhD programs in Germany. It was followed by personal insights from current Ukrainian PhD students in Germany: Mrs Alina Frolova (Institute of Molecular Biology & Genetics, Kyiv, Ukraine, currently hosted by the MDC Berlin (with support of the Volkswagen Foundation)), Oleksandra Kalnytska (MDC), Anastasiia Sholokh (Charité) and Oleksandra Aust (Charité). This information event is part of the “Back to the Roots”- Lab of the Max Delbrück Center (MDC), supported by the DFG Community Prize as part of the Research in Germany Campaign from the funds of the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF).
Science system of Poland/ Система науки в Польщі
On the Cultural Front: Ukrainian Publishers in the Time of War, (22 August 2022), sponsored by the Petro Jacyk Program for the Study of Ukraine, CERES, and the University of Toronto Libraries
The War in Ukraine: What Can Scholars Do? (15 July 2022), Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute. Speakers: Taras Fedirko (University of St Andrews, UK), Steven Seegel (University of Texas at Austin), Kimberly St. Julian-Varnon (University of Pennsylvania), John Vsetecka (Michigan State University)
International Contact Webinar: Supporting Ukraine in Higher Education (07 July 2022, online)
Organized by the National Erasmus+ Office in Ukraine together with the MES of Ukraine, EAIE, German-Ukrainian Academic Society, Leibniz University Hannover (LUH), and Erasmus Student Network Ukraine in close cooperation with the Delegation of the EU to Ukraine and National Erasmus+ Agencies.
Ireland: Irish higher education’s response to the crisis facing displaced students and researchers (1 July 2022), including:
- National Student and Researcher Helpdesk & Scholars at Risk, Dr Gemma Irvine, Maynooth University
- Academic Mentoring in Crises Initiative, Dr Craig Skerritt, Royal Irish Academy
- Ucrisis – HRB’s Rapid Response Mechanism to support Ukrainian researchers in crisis 2022, Oonagh Ward and Dr Sónia Pereira, Health Research Board
- SFI Supplemental Grant for Displaced Researchers – Ukraine, Dr Eimear Finnigan, Science Foundation Ireland
- The Irish Research Council’s Ukrainian Researchers Scheme 2022, Brenda Blake, Irish Research Council
100 Days of Ukrainian Science.Reload, 22 June 2022, online, including:
- The main directions of the UA Science.Reload project
- Presentation of the research project ‘Ukrainian Researchers at War’ (see report here)
- Personal experience of scientific work in Poland
Germany, Berlin4Ukraine: Meet & Learn (Berlin, 30 June 2022), Program, Berlin University Alliance Report
The Part I of the video includes:
- The Welcome remarks
- The introduction to the German science system (Dr. Oksana Seumenicht, Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association/ UKRAINET, in Ukrainian), starting at 25’45” till 1h 3’10”, the slides of this presentation are available for a download
- A statement from Prof. Oleh Turiy, Ukrainian Catholic University, from 1h 5′ 10” till 1h 9’15”
- The panel discussion with Ukrainian researchers (starting from 1h 10′): Dr. Tetiana Kostiuchenko (SCRIPTS/Institute for East European Studies, FU Berlin); Taya Kozak (PhD Researcher, Bogomolets Institute of Physiology Kyiv, currently: MPI for Infections Biology); Prof. Olga Kutsenko (Sociology, TU Berlin); Tetiana Laguta (PhD Researcher, Bogomolets Institute of Physiology Kyiv, currently: MPI for Infections Biology); Dr. Mykola Lazarev (hosted by Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin); Prof. Dr. Iryna Yakovenko (Senior Fellow Cluster of Excellence Temporal Communities)
With additional insights from: Prof. Sergii Pakhomenko (Department of Political Science and International Relations at Mariupol State University and Research Fellow in Global History at FU Berlin) & Prof. Ganna Tolstanova (Vice-Rector for Research at Taras Shevchenko National University Kyiv)
- Part II video: The panel discussion “Supporting Ukraine and Advancing Research Cooperation – Perspectives on mid- to long-term strategies” (video-recording), Moderator: Prof. Dr. Katharina Bluhm, Head of the Institute for East European Studies. Panelists: Prof. Dr. Heribert Hofer, Director, Leibniz Institute for Zoo and Wildlife Research (IZW); Rozaliia Tarnovetckaia, Researcher at Institute of Vocational Education and Work Studies, TU Berlin; Dr. Judith Wellen, Head of Strategy and External Relations, Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung; Prof. Dr. Leonid Yatsenko, former head of National Research Foundation of Ukraine (NRFU)
UKRAINET #Stand With Ukraine Webinar Series “International Science Landscape, First Orientation & Useful Tips”
- #3: The Netherlands (15 September 2022, in English/ Ukrainian), with Paul Merkus, Head of the Research Support Office, TU Eindhoven; Yevhenii Radchenko, PhD student at the University of Leiden; Dr. Olya Kudina, research group leader, TU Delft
- #2: Austria & Switzerland” (23 June 2022, in Ukrainian), with ERC grantees Prof. Tetyana Milojevic, formerly at the University of Vienna, Austria (2000-2021), now: Chair of Exobiology at the University of Orléans & CNRS, Centre de Biophysique Moléculaire, France; Dr Maksym Serbyn, Assistant Professor, Research Group “Condensed Matter Theory and Quantum Dynamics”, Institute of Science & Technology, Austria; Dr Andrii Tykhonov, Assistant Professor, Department of nuclear & particle Physics, University of Geneva; Prof. Maksym Yarema, Materials and Device Engineering Group, Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, ETH Zürich, Switzerland and Prof. Maksym Kovalenko, Laboratory of Inorganic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zürich/ Laboratory for thin films & photovoltaics, EMPA – Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science & Technology, Switzerland (per chat).
- Video-recording: Austria & Switzerland research systems(0-54′) & How to write grants (starting from 54′ onward)
- Presentation slides: Austria Research System, by Maksym Serbyn and by Tetiana Milojevic and Switzerland Research System & How to apply for grant funding, by Maksym Yarema
- #1: Finland & Sweden” (16 June 2022, in Ukrainian), with ERC grantee Anton Kuzyk, Associate Professor, Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering, Aalto University, Finland and Taras Kucherenko, Research engineer, Electronic Arts (EA), Stockholm, Sweden
- Video-recording &
- presentation slides by Anton Kuzyk & Dr. Taras Kucherenko
Online seminar For Ukraine: The German Science System – Overview and First Orientation
- Organised by the jobsite academics in cooperation with the German Scholars Organization on 18 May 2022 (presentation and recording)
BASEES 2022 Opening Keynote Lecture (Robinson College, University of Cambridge, 08 April 2022): Dr Olesya Khromeychuk (Ukrainian Institute London) ‘Where is Ukraine on the mental map of the academic community?’
Info-webinar “Війна 2022 та підтримка українських науковців” (in Ukrainian)
- Organised on 03 April 2022 within the framework of Наукові зустрічі / Scientific meetings by Scientia Conventibus and DUAG member Dr. Kyrylo Snizhko. Video-recording of the talk, slides of the presentation and the discussion
Online webcast on the support most critically needed by the Ukrainian higher education community
- On 01 April, the EAIE Community Moment webcast welcomed guest speakers Ganna Tolstanova from Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and Sophia Opatska from the Ukrainian Catholic University. Ganna and Sophia spoke with host Laura Rumbley about the support most critically needed by the Ukrainian higher education community.