The ideal applicant for a Branco Weiss Fellowship leverages the freedom offered by the fellowship to design a surprisingly novel and scientifically rigorous research project. The fellowship addresses junior researchers with a record of outstanding scientific achievement and a passion for venturing into new territory.
- officially hold a PhD on January 15, 2022
- have obtained your PhD a max. of 5 years prior to January 15, 2022
- do not hold/have not held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor or lecturer)
- your project departs from the mainstream of research in your discipline
- have a record of outstanding scientific achievement
- you demonstrate in the proposal a willingness to engage in a dialog on relevant social, cultural, political or economic issues beyond the frontiers of your particular discipline
Duration: 5 years. At the end of the pioneer phase (the first 2 years), a review and a site visit will be conducted. At this point, the project, its continued originality, and the productivity of the fellow will be evaluated. If the results of the evaluation and site visit are satisfactory, the fellow enters the exploitation phase for the remaining 3 years of the fellowship.
Funding: CHF 100,000 per year (may be used to cover salary and/or equipment, travel expenses, consumables, personnel, etc.).
Branco Weiss Fellows are encouraged to seek faculty positions during their exploitation phase. Assuming an academic position will not result in termination of the fellowship.