The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approx. 25-30 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment.
This program aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. Successful applicants are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship.
Duration: 10 weeks (the program starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the last Friday of August each year)
The school is a collaboration between five of Europe’s leading research institutes: Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CEMM), Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI), Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA), Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP) and the Max Perutz Labs (Max Perutz Labs) and is generously sponsored by the Max Birnstiel Foundation.
To apply you need to have one of the following:
- Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor Hons study or 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June) as follows:
(i) In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
(ii) In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject WITH an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master program (this will be checked later)
(iii) In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
(iv) In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
(v) In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (india) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience – Covid update, we understand that some students may not have been able to train/get enough research experience due to the pandemic and we will therefore accept applications that have gained training as part of their studies. Please explain this in your application
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4 years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies