Days of Ukraine in Lower Saxony were held in Hannover on 30 September – 1 October 2022 under the motto “Advancing German-Ukrainian Academic Cooperation: United Science – United Europe”
Days of Ukraine in Lower Saxony were hosted by the International Office of the Leibniz University Hannover (LUH) and are organised as a networking conference in cooperation with the Hannover Medical School (MHH) and the German-Ukrainian Academic Society (DUAG).
The main aim was the expansion and further development of the German-Ukrainian academic and research cooperation through better networking, information exchange, knowledge and cultural transfer.
This conference showcased the current partnerships and cooperation projects in higher education between Ukrainian and German universities and institutions from Lower Saxony. It provided valuable information about funding possibilities and ideas for initiation of new bilateral or multilateral projects. It offers the platform for networking and exchange with the representatives of Ukrainian universities who will present their institutions during the poster session, with the refugee researchers from Ukraine who will report on their activities at the hosting institutions in Lower Saxony as well as with the representatives of the civil society initiatives with the focus on Ukraine.
The keynote lecture was given by Prof. Andriy Luzhetskyy (University of Saarland/ HZI) on such global grand challenge as antibiotics resistance as well the Final of the 6th UKRAINET PhD Contest gave additional insight into current research fields in the German-Ukrainian cooperation. The invited artists, who had to flee the russian agressive war against Ukraine, brought Ukrainian culture closer to everyone involved.
This networking conference was supported by the DAAD in the programme line Go East – Eastern Europe Days from the funds of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
Day I (30 September 2022)
Welcome addresses were delivered by:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Holger Blume, Vice President for Research and Transfer, LUH
- Christian Bareither, Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony
- Igor Taranov, Director General, Directorate of Science and Innovation of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
- Prof. Olga Garaschuk, President of the German-Ukrainian Academic Society
- Academic cooperation between HEI in Lower Saxony and Ukraine: from student exchange to joint projects by Nataliya Butych, Regional Coordinator Eastern Europe, International Office, Leibniz University Hannover
- TIB – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, University Library by Margret Plank, Head of Lab Non-Textual Materials, Leibniz University Hannover
- Development of a simulator for terrestrial laser scanning as a powerful tool for distance learning by Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Dr. h.c. Thomas Luhmann, Jade University of Applied Sciences, Oldenburg, Institute for Applied Photogrammetry and Geoinformatics
- DAAD Summer Schools «Cancer Immunotherapy» with Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University (PNU), Ivano-Frankivsk and Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University byDr. Tetyana Yevsa, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Centre for Individualised Infection Medicine
- Increase of α-dicarbonyls in liver and receptor for advanced glycation end products on immune cells are linked to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and liver cancer by Nataliia Petriv, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School
- EVZ Foundation MEET UP! YOUTH FOR PARTNERSHIP «German-Ukrainian cultural and educational exchange» by Marian Präger, Advisory member of the management board for youth, freiE Ukraine Braunschweig e.V.
- CIM – Center for International Migration/GIZ «Overcome Trauma – Renew Ressources with Concept Integrative Methods» by Reinhild Zenk, Professional Leader of Institut KIM e. V., Psychological Director of Children and Youth Psychosomatic, Wolfsburg
- 35 years of IRS Engagement in and around Chernobyl by Prof. Dr. Clemens Walther, Institute of Radioecology and Radiation Protection and Dr. Sergiy Dubchak, National Technical University of Ukraine «Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute»
- BMBF Establishing German-Ukrainian Excellence Centers (CoE) in Ukraine «With Laser Ablation and Cooperation towards Core of Excellence» with Kharkiv Universities by Dr. Oleksandr Gryshkov, Institute of Quantum Optics and Dr. Mariia Yukhta, Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine, National Academy of Science of Ukraine, Kharkiv
- Volkswagen Foundation Trilateral Partnerships – Cooperation Projects between Scholars and Scientists from Ukraine, Russia and Germany «Dissecting the molecular mechanisms of neurodegeneration using a Drosophila neuropathy model» by Prof. Dr. Halyna R. Shcherbata, Institute of Cell Biochemistry, Hannover Medical School
- “Diverschance_East – Global competence development and diversity challenges in an innovative Europe” and “Promotion of intercultural and refugee-specific competence for refugees and host societies during the Russia-Ukraine crisis” by Prof. Dr. Petia Genkova Petkova, Jonathan Herbst und Dieter Jasper, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences
- “The Representation of Migration in Visual Media” and “Peace Education in Ukraine and Georgia” by PD Dr. phil. Markus Heide, English Department/Institute of Translation Studies and Communication
- FAIR Research Information in Open Infrastructures by Christian Hauschke, Head of Lab Group Open Research Information, TIB – Leibniz Information Center for Science and Technology, University Library
Funding initiatives and possibilities for German-Ukrainian cooperation
- Matthias Nöllenburg, the Volkswagen Foundation (VolkswagenStiftung)
- Dr. Oksana Seumenicht, MDC/Managing Director, German-Ukrainian Academic Society/UKRAINET
- Vitali Bondarenko, German Aerospace Center, «European and national funding for Ukrainian researchers»
- Dr. Svitlana Shytikova, National Erasmus+ Office Ukraine
«Antibiotics resistance and discovery – global grand challenges» by Prof. Dr. Andriy Luzhetskyy
Final of the 6th UKRAINET PhD Thesis Presentation Contest
- Pathomorphological Characteristics of Meningioma Biomineralization by Anastasiia Denysenko
- Victim of its own success (?) – Western democracy promotion in Ukraine between grand visions and (geo)political realities by Michael Martin Richter
- Die ukrainische Künstlerdiaspora in Deutschland und Amerkika im Kontext des Schaffens von Svyatoslav Hordynsky, Edward Kozak und Petro Mehyk by Veronica Skip
- Olya Bakina
Musical Interlude with Anna and Svitlana Sonnyk
Day II (1 October 2022)
DUAG annual meeting (for members) & Networking discussions