The German-Ukrainian Academic Society/ The UKRAINE Network organizes its PhD Thesis Presentation Contest for the 6th time.
Since 2016, we organise our PhD Thesis Presentation Contest with the aim of promoting PhD students and in doing so contribute to the raising the profile of the international academic collaboration with Ukraine. In these challenging time, when Ukraine is in flames and its people resist russian invasion and aggression, we stand with people of Ukraine and wish to support them, also through the organisations of this PhD Contest.
Application closing date for the 2022 Contest is Monday, 30 May 2022 (extended). We expect to inform the shortlisted finalists by the early July 2022. Please read the FAQs carefully.
Eligibility: We invite applications from PhD/MD students carrying out their research in any subject, from one or more following groups:
- Ukrainian PhD students carrying out their research outside of Ukraine (incl. exchange PhD students and those who had to flee Ukraine due to russian war against Ukraine);
- PhD students, regardless of nationality, who are involved in a collaborative (e.g. bi- or multi-lateral, including Ukraine) research project;
- PhD students, regardless of nationality, whose topic of research relates to Ukraine.
Please note: only those PhD students whose PhD defence/viva is planned after the PhD Contest Final date can be considered (i.e. candidates who have already defended or are expected to defend their PhD thesis prior to the PhD Contest Final are as a rule not eligible to apply). If you have questions or any doubts about your eligibility, please contact us at info (at) ukrainet.eu.
Apply by following these four steps:
- Please fill in the Application Form
- And enclose your CV (preferably as a single pdf document named “Your Surname”)
- Fill in and sign the Personal Data Consent Form
- and send your application to the following e-mail: email@example.com
The Final will be carried out on Thursday, 29 September 2022 in Hannover, Germany within the framework of the Days of Ukraine in Lower Saxony (29-30 September 2022), accompanied by the Annual Meeting of the German-Ukrainian Academic Society (Die Deutsch-Ukrainische Akademische Gesellschaft e.V., DUAG). The PhD Contest judging panel will consist of researchers involved in international cooperation with partners in Ukraine, appointed by the board of the Society.
Successful candidates are invited to present their research as a 5-minute talk at the Final event on stage, and get a chance to win one of the three prizes (1st place: EUR 300, 2nd place: EUR 200, 3rd place: EUR 100) as well as add an extra credential to their CVs. The travel (up to 200 EUR) and stay in Berlin (up to 2 nights) is funded by the Society. For more information please read carefully the FAQs.
Please note: We are currently planning our meeting, including the PhD Contest Final, in the presence-format. Should conditions change, we intend to consider carrying out this event in a digital format. The finalists will be informed accordingly (we expect to be able to take this decision by the end of July).
Supporters: Nomad Bioscience GmbH and the Embassy of Ukraine in Germany.
If you wish to support this PhD Contest, please donate to the German-Ukrainian Academic Society:
- Bank: Berliner Sparkasse
- IBAN: DE07 1005 0000 0190 6178 29
- SWIFT-BIC BELADEBEXXX
- Deutsch-Ukrainische Akademische Gesellschaft e.V.
Contact: Head of the PhD Contest Organisation Committee Prof. Dr. Halyna Shcherbata, MHH/DUAG (for any enquiries e-mail to info (at) ukrainet (dot) eu)