Title: “Shadows of Empires. Imperial Legacies and Mythologies in East Central Europe”
14-21 September, 2020, Sofia, Bulgaria
Transregional Academy is organized by Prisma Ukraïna – Research Network Eastern Europe in cooperation with CAS Centre for Advanced Study Sofia, Center for Governance and Culture in Europe, University St. Gallen, and the German Historical Institute Warsaw.
Brief Description of the Academy Format
It is planned to gather up to twenty scholars (historians, literary and cultural scientists, cultural anthropologists, sociologists, economists, political scientists, etc.) in the early/initial stages of their career (doctoral/postdoctoral), who are eager to contribute to the topics and questions described. Projects that look at imperial legacies and mythologies in East and Central Europe from a comparative and transregional perspective are highly welcomed. The participants will present and discuss their current projects. Explorations of the city space of Sofia shall also play an important role. The common language of the Academy will be English.
The Academy will take place at the Centre for Advanced Study in Sofia, an independent, multidisciplinary Institute for Advanced Study with a wide radiance in the region.
Steering committee of the Academy:
- Katharina Biegger (Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin),
- Diana Mishkova (CAS Sofia), Andrii Portnov (Prisma Ukraïna Berlin),
- Miloš Řezník (German Historical Institute Warsaw),
- Ulrich Schmid (University St. Gallen),
- Viktoriia Serhiienko (National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Kyiv),
- Annette Werberger (European University Viadrina Frankfurt/Oder).
How to Apply
1. A CV (max. 3 pages);
2. A three- to five-page outline of the project the applicant is currently working on, with a brief introductory summary thereof;
3. A sample of an academic writing (in any language);
4. The names of two university faculty members who can serve as referees (no letters of recommendation required).
The application should be written in English and sent via email as one pdf file to academies (at) trafo-berlin.de
Please specify the topic of the Academy: “Empires” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Deadline for applications is 15 March 2020. Those who send their applications after the deadline will not be considered. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by the end of April 2020.