Virtual Ukraine Institute for Advanced Study (VUIAS) will grant fellowships to Ukrainian scholars, coordinate them to form a virtual cohort, organize a colloquium and other virtual and hybrid events for them, establish links with relevant colleagues and academic institutes internationally, and provide services such as access to libraries and assistance in getting work translated and published.
The first cohort in the academic year 2023/2024 will consist of up to fourteen fellows. VUIAS provides two kinds of fellowships:
- VUIAS Fellowships in Ukraine, which are granted by the Wissenschaftskolleg to scholars who work and reside in universities and research institutes in Ukraine, and
- VUIAS Fellowships Abroad, which are funded, selected and hosted by eight of the world’s leading Institutes for Advanced Study located in Europe and the United States.
VUIAS Fellowships in Ukraine are granted for ten months (from September 2023 to June 2024) to scholars residing in Ukraine and working in Ukrainian universities and research institutes. The fellows will remain at their home institutes and receive their fellowships there.
- The VUIAS Fellowship in Ukraine supports scholars in their pursuit of a self-chosen research project.
- Applications from the sciences, the humanities and the social sciences are equally welcome.
- Scholars at all stages of their career are eligible if they hold a PhD and are not yet retired.
The VUIAS Fellowships in Ukraine are reserved for scholars residing in Ukraine, who have Ukrainian citizenship or a long-term residence permit and are affiliated with a Ukrainian academic institution. During the academic year 2023/2024 all VUIAS Fellows will be obliged to engage in interdisciplinary exchange with their cohort through regular participation in the VUIAS colloquium and other events.
The working languages will be Ukrainian and English; both an active and passive knowledge of English is expected.
VUIAS is funded by the Volkswagen Foundation Germany.