German Rector Conference (HRK) issued their statement “Solidarity with Ukraine and Ukrainian universities: HRK condemns Russian attack” on the 24 of February 2022.
The Alliance of Science Organisations in Germany recommended (statement in German and in English) on the 25 February 2022 “that academic cooperation with state institutions and business enterprises in Russia be frozen with immediate effect until further notice, that German research funds no longer benefit Russia, and that no joint events take place of an academic nature or those pertaining to research policy. New cooperation projects should not be initiated at the present time”.
Research funding organizations and individual universities and alliances issued similar statements:
- German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG) is suspending all its funded research projects between academics from Germany and Russia with immediate effect. What is more, funding proposals for new collaborative projects and renewal proposals for ongoing projects will not be accepted until further notice. Hinweise für deutsch-russische Anträge und Kooperationsprojekte in German.
- German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, DAAD) is currently restricting the German-Russian exchange relations funded by the DAAD. The DAAD is stopping applications for Russia scholarships and cancelling the selection for DAAD scholarships to Russia. German scholarship holders who have already been selected will not currently receive financial support for any planned stay in Russia. The DAAD expects German universities to suspend all DAAD-funded project activities with partner institutions in Russia and Belarus. In addition, see the guest contribution (in German) of the DAAD President Joybrato Mukherjee (1 March 2022, in German) Was Science Diplomacy in Kriegszeiten bedeutet
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: Humboldt-Stiftung verurteilt Angriff auf die Ukraine.
- Martin Stratmann, President of the Max Planck Society, stated that Germany will apply sanctions in the area of research in response to the current aggression of the Russian regime.
- Statementof the four founding coordinators of Berlin Research 50 (BR50) on Russia’s attack on Ukraine
An information letter about freezing cooperation between Russia and Germany (with references to DFG, DAAD, etc).