After the meeting in Kyiv of Mr. Thomas Rachel, the German Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister of Education and Research (BMBF) with Ms. Hanna Novosad, the Minister for Education and Science of Ukraine, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research announced the intention to fund German-Ukrainian “Cores of Excellence” (Deutsch-ukrainische Exzellenzkerne). The funding call is expected to be published shortly.
See the BMBF press-release in German (4 November 2019).
In order to provide sustained support for Ukrainian reform efforts and to support “brain circulation”, excellent German-Ukrainian working groups (so-called “excellence cores”) are to be established in Ukraine. This is intended to counteract the emigration of excellent researchers and to encourage Ukrainians in the diaspora to return. The highly successful Horizon 2020 instrument “Teaming for Excellence” serves as a model. The goals of the German-Ukrainian cores of excellence are to:
- expand excellent research cooperation with Ukraine;
- strengthen sustainable bilateral research structures;
- advance the innovative R&D;
- increase the visibility of Germany as a center of research and innovation in international competition;
- increase knowledge and technology transfer;
- establish sustainable international knowledge and innovation networks.