Max Planck Institute for Mathematics, Bonn published an interview with Ukrainian PhD student Danylo Radchenko on solving the sphere packing problem in dimension 24 (The interview was conducted by Astrid Slizewski). We also wrote earlier about the research led by another Ukrainian mathematician, Maryna Viazovska (Berlin School of Mathematics and Humboldt University of Berlin), to which Danylo contributed, in our Newsletter 3/2016. Earlier this year Dr Viazovska was distiguished with the Salem Prize 2016.
- Maryna Viazovska, The sphere packing problem in dimension 8.
- Henry Cohn, Abhinav Kumar, Stephen D. Miller, Danylo Radchenko, Maryna Viazovska, The sphere packing problem in dimension 24.
More about this breakthrough discovery:
- Sphere Packing in Dimension 8, by Frank Morgan, The Huffington Post, 21 March 2016
- Задача Кеплера отримала український розв’язок, by Larysa Kit, Tech Today Awards, 28 April 2016, the May winner of readers’ choice article
- So stapeln Mathematiker Melonen, von Andreas Loos, ZEIT Online, 21 March 2016